Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation Makes a Difference in Henry County with the Project Diabetes Grant

Paris, TN —The Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation, Inc. (PHCHF) was selected in 2019 to receive the two year Project Diabetes grant through the State of Tennessee, Department of Health utilizing funds to better the community, promote healthy living and encourage preventative diabetes behaviors.

With the participation of the Henry County Health Department, Paris Special School District, W.G. Rhea Public Library, Henry County School System, City of Paris, and the Henry County Sheriff’s Department, the Project Diabetes grant has already made an impact in Henry County in a positive way.

With the funds for year one, the Henry County Sheriff’s Department was able to purchase garden supplies, a trailer, and a tiller for the Inmate Garden and Mobile Farmer’s Market.  The Henry County Sheriff’s Office cultivates a garden which is maintained by the inmates at the Henry County Correctional Facility. Of the fresh produce that is grown, nearly 60% of them are used for meals within the correctional facility. The remaining 40% is given away throughout the community through the Henry County Sheriff’s Department Mobile Farmers Market.  Good carbohydrates, like fruits and vegetables, provide both nutrients and energy, making them a safe, efficient, and nutritious food choice for people with diabetes.

Additionally, funds from year one were used to purchase water bottle filling stations for the newly developing splash pad and another location in Henry County.  One goal of Project Diabetes is that healthy food and beverage options are a routine, easy choice in Henry County. Project Diabetes aims to educate the overall benefits of choosing water over sugary drinks to stay hydrated.  More stations will be located in Henry County during year two of the grant.  Also, be on the lookout for healthy information on Rethink Your Drink during the summer months to share with your family on our social media outlets and in the media.

Project Diabetes funds have also been used to encourage healthy lifestyle choices in adolescents with the purchase of Read and Ride bike station for the Henry County School System, Paris Special School District, and W.G. Rhea Public Library.  Read and Ride stations will allow students, faculty, and community members to read or work at a desk while peddling a stationary bicycle.  The W.G. Rhea Public Library currently has theirs available during regular business hours for adults and children.  More will be purchased in year two of the grant.

Proper walking paths not only provide safety, but encourages physical exercise through cardiovascular endurance and ties the community together. Project Diabetes has allocated resources to repair damaged sidewalks in areas of high population and where there are no other walking options.  We are currently working with the City of Paris to complete these for summer utilization to get out and walk our community.

Be on the lookout for how Project Diabetes is impacting your neighborhood and take advantage of the improvements coming to Henry County over the next two years. The Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation encourages you to visit the Mobile Farmer’s Market, take time out every week to read and ride, bring a refillable water bottle to the park, or gather a friend to walk with each day.

To learn more about the Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation, go to our website at or call 731-644-8215.

About the Paris & Henry County Healthcare Foundation

The Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit organization founded in 1994. The Foundation was established to enhance and improve the health of all citizens of Henry County through philanthropic support of the programs and services of Henry County Medical Center. There is a particular emphasis placed on wellness education, community outreach, scholarships for students pursuing a health care career, and support of health improvement programs that otherwise could not be implemented.

About Henry County Medical Center
Located in Paris, TN, Henry County Medical Center is a progressive, integrated healthcare organization committed to serving the healthcare needs of Henry County and the adjoining region.  Including a 142-bed hospital and other facilities, the medical center provides a variety of outpatient services, as well as inpatient care. Additionally, HCMC owns and operates 7 provider clinics in various specialties.  Henry County Medical Center is a county-owned and operated nonprofit institution. For more information: