Paris, TN – Nov. 1 marked the first day of the open enrollment period for Tennesseans looking to enroll in or change their plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace for coverage in 2019.
West Tennesseans exploring affordable health insurance options can receive free assistance by making an appointment a Certified Application Counselor at Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation/Henry County Medical Center.
Marketplace plans must include key benefits like mental health care, maternity care, prescription drug coverage, and hospitalization services. Many marketplace shoppers will qualify for a discount based on their income. Last year, more than 8 in 10 shoppers could get a plan for less than $100/month.
After open enrollment closes on Dec. 15, accessing health insurance in the Marketplace is limited until the next open enrollment period or to those who experience a qualifying life event like job loss, change in household compositions, etc.
The Paris and Henry County Healthcare Foundation will again be offering assistance and will have extended hours until 6 p.m. on both December 4 and December 11. You still need to call and make an appointment for open slots with Umstead.
5 Tips to Know about Health Insurance Marketplace:
- Deadlines for 2019 coverage – Enroll by December 15 for coverage starting January 1, 2019. Apply now. Be sure to download the checklist to complete your application available at www.healthcare.gov
- Who is eligible to use the Marketplace? To be eligible to enroll in Marketplace health coverage, you must live in the United States, must be a U.S. citizen or national (or be lawfully present), and can’t be incarcerated.
- Two kinds of coverage – Depending on income, you may qualify for an insurance plan with tax credits or for Medicaid/Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). See where your income falls.
- What plans cover – All plans cover essential health benefits, pre-existing conditions, and preventive services.
- Plans & costs – You can preview available plans and estimated prices based on income before visiting with Umstead online at www.healthcare.gov
If you questions or would like to make an appointment, contact Tina Umstead, LPN, Community Health Specialist at (731) 644-8215.
Located in Paris, TN, Henry County Medical Center is a progressive, integrated healthcare organization committed to serving the healthcare needs of Henry County and the adjoining region. Including a 142-bed hospital and other facilities, the medical center provides a variety of outpatient services, as well as inpatient care. Henry County Medical Center is a county-owned and operated nonprofit institution. For more information: www.hcmc-tn.org