Henry County Medical Center Volunteers
Henry County Medical Center volunteers are warm and caring individuals who give back to their community. Volunteers offer their time, talent and dedication throughout the hospital in patient care and clerical settings providing an extra dimension of care to our patients and families.
Volunteers are a vital part of Henry County Medical Center with more than 50 volunteers currently serving across the organization. Our volunteers come from unique backgrounds, but are commonly interested in helping others. The care they provide is invaluable to patients and families.
Volunteers are asked to give a minimum of 10 hours a month. There are a variety of volunteer roles to fit individual time schedules, abilities and interests. Volunteers may work directly with patients or choose work behind-the-scenes in clerical positions throughout the hospital.
Purpose of the HCMC Volunteer Auxiliary
To render services to HCMC and its patients and to assist the Center in promoting the health and welfare of the community in accordance with objectives established by the institution.
Services Provided by HCMC Volunteers
Volunteer Jobs Include:
- Information/front desk hours are from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Volunteers take patients to admitting office, assist those needing wheelchairs and give directions.
- Morning Hostess—Volunteers serve patient/visitor areas with juice/coffee cart; distribute mail to patients.
- Surgery Waiting Room—Volunteers answer phones, assist visitors with directions and provide general information.
- Gift Shop clerks – Volunteers work the Pink Petal Gift Shop which is fully managed and run by the HCMC Auxiliary.
- Volunteers distribute magazines to all waiting rooms.
- Specialty areas of need for volunteers include Imaging, Cancer Care Center, Pharmacy, Marketing and Public Relations, HIM and others.
Volunteers also participate in many special projects including making Christmas stockings for babies born in December, making nap sacks for children having outpatient surgery, and assisting with screenings to the community.
Additionally, the volunteers raise funds through the gift shop, jewelry sales, and other special projects to purchase non-budgeted items requested by HCMC and HCHC as funds allow.
Scholarships are given to Henry County graduating seniors or other applicants entering the medical/healthcare field from funds raised as well. Click here to learn more about the scholarships.
HCMC also offers a junior volunteer program during the summer and specially arranged times during the year to students 14 and older with at least a “C” average. Students interested must attend a parent meeting with a parent or guardian, fill out an application and schedule, attend an orientation session, and have a TB skin test to participate.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities at HCMC, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, at 731-644-8267.